UK Home Office - Digital
To apply for this job please visit www.jobg8.com.
Job Title: Senior Developer node.js
Employer: UK Home Office – Digital
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Employment Type: Permanent
Reference Number: 615c4cda31e0de00185bbfbc
Salary 50,000 – 65,000 GBP per year
– You’ll be a developer who is confident developing applications, passionate about making a difference and want to be involved throughout the product lifecycle, from idea generation, design, and prototyping to execution, and shipping whilst having good experience with:
– defining and developing new and existing services in node.js
– databases and DB technology (RDBMS, NoSQL etc)
– working with an agile environment
– working practices such as test driven development (focusing on automation), continuous integration and continuous delivery
– source code management and version control
– being involved in the full software development lifecycle
– We sit at the heart of the Home Office’s transformation into being a data driven department.
You’ll be working on some of the most high-reaching, high profile problems in Government, across all areas of the Home Office’s responsibilities:
– Border Security, Immigration Control & Citizenship
– Crime and Policing & Fire Services
– National Security, Counter Terrorism and Counter Extremism
It’s an exciting area where you’ll be working with outstanding datasets, sophisticated analytical techniques and modern tools to deliver insights and data products that will transform our operational business and policy development.
About the team
We work in small agile teams, to deliver prioritised work packages from the research stage through to deployment as live services. Example projects include deployment of machine learning models to classify visa applications by risk, building network visualisation/analytics tools to identify possible victims of trafficking, building document search and text analytics products and conducting data driven research to inform policy makers.
You’ll be delivering and integrating software to form complete services as well as building and maintaining the service components to ensure they meet our needs and collaborate and interact with design teams providing technical expertise. We will expect you to be proactive in identifying process optimisation opportunities and contributing to the implementation of proposed solutions.
Your main day to day
– delivering secure, reliable and scalable software
– evaluating and advising on design choices, ensuring that software is high quality
– defining and documenting test cases for new systems and maintaining live systems to ensure ongoing performance
– taking projects from inception through to delivery, being involved in the full software development lifecycle. You’ll also be taking business requirements and build design documents.
– evolving new approaches/solutions with other professions through discoveries, maintain a focus on development and deployment
The Home Office is the lead government department for immigration and passports, drugs policy, crime, fire, counter-terrorism and police. Every day, our work delivers outcomes for UK citizens, providing them with the means to travel the world, tackling illegal migration and removing foreign national offenders, disrupting terrorist attacks and organised criminal groups, stopping people from becoming victims of crime and supporting those who require asylum and safeguarding.
To achieve all this, we rely on talented people with a wide range of skills. This includes digital, data and technology skills, where we are seeking to increase our civil service recruitment and have plans to recruit significant numbers in Croydon, Sheffield, Manchester and London.
Learn more about our work and organisation on GOV.UK
Why join Home Office Digital, Data and Technology?
Home Office Digital, Data and Technology (DDaT) designs, builds and develops services for the rest of the department and for government. Our role is to enable transformation through improved business efficiency.
The DDaT function is made up of around 1,700 staff, augmented by a number of supplier partners. Every year our systems support up to 3 million visa applications, checks on 100 million border crossings, up to 7 million passport applications and delivers 140 million police checks on people, vehicles and property. The scale of our projects is matched only by the opportunities for our people.
We are a friendly team who will support and challenge you to contribute. Our culture is inclusive, progressive and values the unique contributions everyone makes. Our tech strategy is also clear: we work in agile product- and user-centred teams, with cloud native and interdisciplinary working as the focus. Digital inclusion, accessibility and forming a technical community across departments are also key.
Our main delivery centres are in Croydon, Sheffield and Manchester with satellite offices in Southport, Westminster, Liverpool, west London and north London.
We offer a range of benefits for staff including outstanding pensions schemes and a serious focus on continuous professional development (see below).
Learning and Development
We offer a range of Learning and Development opportunities relevant to your role which could include: AWS training and certification, Azure training and certification, O’Reilly Books as well as high quality management training, for example.
In addition, we offer allocated study leave and support when studying for a relevant qualification or other accredited development. This may include BCS Membership, for example, or study towards a degree or masters qualification.
Diversity & Inclusion
We are committed to representing modern Britain in all its diversity, creating a welcoming, inclusive workforce where people can bring their whole selves to work.
We’re proud to be one of the most ethnically diverse departments in the Civil Service, a Stonewall Top 100 Workplace Equality Employer and a Social Mobility Foundation Top 75 employer. We also work to recruit and retain disabled staff and are a Disability Confident Leader.
To review our job adverts and apply, visit the Civil Service Jobs website.
NOTE TO JOB SEEKERS
Apply for this Senior Developer node.js job vacancy via Bubble Jobs today. You can find other jobs like this Senior Developer node.js job vacancy in Manchester with our simple job search feature. As well as advertising vacancies like this Senior Developer node.js job vacancy, Bubble Jobs specialises in advertising web jobs, digital jobs, tech jobs and other specialist jobs for a wide range of employers and recruiters. If you’re looking for career advice or job searching tips, then make sure you check out our blog which is updated regularly with useful advice and resources. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter to get the latest job updates and addition career related news and posts. Thanks for using Bubble Jobs and good luck with your job search.