Published on March 23rd, 2013 | by Amy Edwards2
Top 10 Must-Follow SEO Pros
By Amy @BubbleJobs
Whether you work directly in the digital industry or you just have a passing interest, these days there’s no getting away from SEO. From the way you set up your website to the content you publish and the products you sell, SEO now affects more business owners than ever before so staying on top of the latest trends, updates and changes is crucial – if you don’t, you could end up in a whole pile of trouble, not just with Google but with your investors and customers too!
Needless to say just like any other industry, there are some natural leaders in the SEO industry – people who are at the forefront of the industry and are definitely worth keeping an eye on! If you work in the industry or are just randomly interested in SEO, these guys (sorry – no women made it into my top 10 but Ruth Burr @ruthburr and Ann Smarty @seosmarty only just missed out!) are definitely worth following with or adding to your circles on Google+!
1. Matt Cutts: Google’s Head of Web Spam, Matt Cutts is the mortal enemy of most SEOs in the industry who are still having sleepless nights over the original Panda and Penguin updates. He doesn’t necessarily tweet that much and when he does it’s not always related to SEO but he’s still a must-follow for anyone with a vested interested in SEO and SEM in general. Follow him – @mattcutts or add him to your Google+ Circles - +MattCutts.
2. Rand Fishkin: The CEO of the iconic SEOMmoz and co-founder of Inbound.org, Rand Fishkin is easily regarded as one of the best SEOs in the industry. Well known for wearing fluorescent trainers to SEO conferences and events, Rand has helped to co-author numerous SEO books, including the Art of SEO (which is actually sitting on my living room table as I write this), and is always tweeting about SEO and sharing useful articles. Follow him – @randfish or add him to your Google+ Circles – +RandFishkin.
3. Danny Sullivan: One of the originals of the SEO industry, Danny Sullivan has been talking SEO for more than 20 years and is the founding editor of the hugely successful Search Engine Land. He also serves as Chief Content Editor for Third Door Media which publishes Search Engine Land and produces the iconic SMX: Search Marketing Expo conference series. Follow him on Twitter – @dannysullivan or add him to your Google+ Circles +DannySullivan.
4. Barry Schwartz: Barry Schwartz is the President of web services firm RustyBrick and runs the popular Search Engine Roundtable blog which is well-known for breaking SEO stories before anyone else. Barry is also a moderator at the Search Engine Watch Forums and Cre8asite Forums (among others) and also regularly blogs at Search Engine Watch and Search Engine Journal. Follow him on Twitter – @rustybrick or add him to your Google+ Circles – +BarrySchwartz.
5. Duane Forrester: Duane Forrester is the Senior Product Manager with Bing’s Webmaster Program and was also a contributing columnist for Search Engine Land. He’s also the founding co-chair of SEMPO’s In-house SEM Committee and before running the public outreach side of Bing’s Webmaster program, he ran the SEO program for MSN in America – needless to say, Duane is definitely worth keeping an eye on! Follow him on Twitter -@DuaneForrester or add him to your Google+ Circles – +Duane Forrester.
6. Aaron Wall: Aaron Wall is a well-known SEO who founded the hugely successful SEO Book – a site that originally started off as a blog but which now offers marketing tips, search analysis and online business tips. SEO Book also runs a popular SEO training program which consists of 100 custom training modules and access to premium tools. Follow him on Twitter – @aaronwall or add him to your Google+ Circles – +Aaron Wall.
7. Dr Peter J Meyers: Dr Pete puts the science in search engine optimisation. A cognitive psychologist, he’s the Marketing Scientist at SEOmoz and is obsessed with Google’s algorithms. He regularly blogs at SEOmoz and is always investigating how Google’s updates and algorithms work and what makes them tick. Follow him – @drpete – or add him to your Google+ Circles – +DrPete.
8. Matt McGee: Matt McGee is Editor-In-Chief of Search Engine Land and Marketing Land and as an SEO veteran (he began way back in 1999/2000) has provided SEO advice to some of the biggest companies on the web. He’s also a regular speaker at many of the industry’s annual events and also runs the Small Business Search Marketing blog. Follow him on Twitter – @mattmcgee or add him to your Google+ Circles – +MattMcGee.
9. Eric Ward: Eric Ward is regarded as many as the king of link building and is best known as the person behind the first linking campaign for Amazon. The leading authority on natural link building, Eric Ward is always sharing link building tips and has even been given the seal of approval by Matt Cutts himself! Follow him on Twitter – @ericward or add him to your Google+ Circles – +EricWard.
10. Michael King (aka MyCool King): Michael King is an SEO Engineer who has evolved into an Inbound Marketer and currently works as Director of Inbound Marketing for content marketing agency iAcquire. In the past he’s worked on SEO campaigns for LG and Cartier and is a regular contributor to SEOmoz and the Distilled blog. Follow him on Twitter – @ipullrank or add him to your Google+ Circles – +MichaelKing.
So there you go; 10 prolific figures in the world of SEO that are must-have additions to your Twitter or Google+ feeds. Needless to say, there are lots more out there, like Michael Martinez (@seo_theory)and Barry Slawski (@bill_slawski) to name but two, so please don’t read too much into this list – it’s just meant to act as a starter guide to who’s who in the industry!
Know someone I missed off this list that’s worth a follow for any SEO? Let us know – leave us a comment below!