Published on January 6th, 2013 | by Amy Edwards0
Liar, Liar, Pants On Fire!
By Amy @BubbleJobs
Sorry for the out-of-the-blue insult but I needed to do something to grab your attention! You see, it’s been nearly a week since Big Ben rung in the New Year and you’ve still not got your act together and started searching for a new job yet.
What’s that? You’re happy where you are? Hmm, are you sure?! The thing is, for one reason or another, we all tell ourselves lies when it comes to our careers and getting a new job. Now, these might not be obvious lies – you completely believe in them 100% – but they’re still lies nonetheless and they’re holding you back.
Whether you want to admit it or not, these little porkies are having a negative impact on your overall well-being and career – can you afford for your fibs to hold you back any longer?
Here are the top five lies people tell themselves when it comes to bagging a new job – if you recognise any, it might be time to reassess your outlook!
1. “It will get better” – Yes, of course it will… and pigs might fly! Let’s face it, you’ve been unhappy in your current job for three, six, twelve months – why would it suddenly get better now? The answer? It won’t! Sorry to be harsh but it’s time to stop wallowing in self-pity, being lazy and hoping for things to improve and start taking action!
2. “I won’t get another job which pays this well” - Yawwwnnn! There are shed-loads of jobs out there which have great salaries, particularly in the digital sector, and if you’re as good as you think you are, why would you ever be offered a new job which has a waaaaaaaaay lower salary than your current role? OK, if you’ve been at your current job for a while you’ve probably worked your way up and might have a better salary than you would elsewhere but if you’re not really happy, what difference does it make?!
3. “There are no other jobs out there” - OK, this is one of the worst excuses out there at the moment and I’m sorry, it just doesn’t wash anymore! Yes, the economy’s still all over the place but that doesn’t mean there aren’t jobs out there – after all, we’re a jobs board, we should know! Yep, the job industry is getting itself back on track and companies are slowly building themselves back up which means there are jobs out there in all industries, not just the digital sector! Stop making excuses and start searching!
4. “Multiple jobs will look bad on my CV” - I don’t know who told you this but it’s just not true. Rather than just searching for candidates that have had one or two previous jobs, employers are now searching for candidates who have a range of experience and skills acquired from a number of different jobs. Think having one job on your CV shows commitment and loyalty? Wrong! It actually suggests you’re stuck in a rut and afraid of change! Now, I’m not saying you should get a new job every week or month but you definitely shouldn’t be afraid to have more than a couple of jobs on your CV!
5. “I can’t leave – I owe the company too much” - Last but not least it’s the whole “I owe the company” lie. Why’s it a lie? Because you don’t owe them anything! OK, so they gave you a job but you’ve spent the last however many months working for them. Remember, it’s work, not your social life! While you might be close to your current boss, you shouldn’t feel guilty about moving on – after all, they can’t really expect you to work for them for the rest of your life… or can they?!