Published on August 15th, 2012 | by Amy Edwards0
Forget London – 10 alternative hot growth cities for digital jobs in the UK
By Amy @BubbleJobs
When it comes to the digital sector, it can be easy to think it’s all going on in London and the only way you’re going to be able to carve out a successful digital career is to relocate to the capital – but we’re here to tell you that that’s not necessarily true.
Now, while there’s no denying that London has way more digital opportunities than anywhere else in the UK, we’re happy to announce that we’re starting to see digital hubs forming all over the county. Yep, right up and down the UK, cities are joining the digital revolution and you know what that means? Yep, where there are digital businesses, there are digital jobs!
OK, so if London isn’t the only city in the UK that offers digital jobs, where else should you really be looking? Well if you hold your horses we’re about to tell you which cities have seen a massive influx of digital jobs in the last three months or so. Ready?
1. Manchester: In at number one is Manchester which has no doubt been given a helping hand by the BBC’s recent relocation to MediaCityUK in Salford Quays. Thanks to its central(ish) location and great transport links to London (it only takes an hour and a half or so!), Manchester is Bubble’s second most popular city in the UK for digital jobs behind London so it’s definitely worth checking out if you fancy a new PPC, SEO or Digital Marketing job.
2. Cambridge: Think Cambridge is only good for its university? Think again! Yep, the picturesque city in Cambridgeshire might be home to one of the most prestigious universities in the world but it’s also home to some of the most exciting new digital jobs in the UK. A great place to live and work, online jobs in Cambridge never stick around for long so you need to be quick.
3. Birmingham: In at number three it’s Birmingham and with great transport links and a population of more than 2,700,000, it’s no surprise really! Yep, it’s safe to say that Birmingham is quickly gaining ground when it comes to the digital revolution – you never know, you might even find your perfect new digital job in Birmingham on Bubble today.
4. Leeds: One of the most popular cities in Yorkshire, Leeds comes in at number four on our list. Now, we don’t know what’s been going on up there but there must be something in the water because over the last couple of months the number of online jobs in Leeds on Bubble has pretty much quadrupled and now we’re inundated! Check out our Leeds jobs page if you don’t believe us!
5. Reading: Now, we know featuring Reading straight after Leeds is a little predictable with the festivals just around the corner but trust us, it’s just a coincide! With around 60 digital jobs in Reading live on Bubble at the moment, Reading slots in nicely straight after Leeds in this line up and is definitely worth considering if you’re searching for an online job ‘down South’.
6. Sheffield: In at number six, Sheffield is the second Yorkshire city to feature in our list. Another thriving Northern city, Sheffield’s buzzing digital scene shows it’s not just the South that has online jobs available in popular fields like Social Media, CRM and Business Development.
7. Liverpool: Next up, it’s Liverpool which currently boasts nearly 50 jobs in the digital niche on Bubble. A great location for shopping, nightlife and football (subject to opinion, of course!), Liverpool is fast becoming one of the hottest locations for online and digital jobs so if you’re based in the North West, it’s really not a location you can overlook!
8. Oxford: Cambridge won the boat race this year and they’ve also triumphed in our current digital jobs survey because Oxford has only made the eighth slot. With around 45 live digital jobs compared to Cambridge’s 175+, Oxford might be trailing but that doesn’t mean it should be discounted when it comes to online jobs. Check out our Oxford jobs page to see for yourself!
9. Nottingham: The only city in the East Midlands to feature, Nottingham is in at number nine. Currently boasting more than 40 live jobs on Bubble, Nottingham is well on its way to taking the East Midlands digital city title with internet marketing, Ruby and graphic design jobs aplenty!
10. Bristol: Last but not least in our list of hot digital cities is Bristol. With its close ties to London, Bristol is a great place for any web developer, designer or copywriter to make a name for themselves in the South West. With 40 digital jobs currently live on Bubble, Bristol is definitely worth considering!